A History of Good Shepherd Parish
On June 16, 1934, Reverend
Fred Wieberg received his letter of appointment to found a parish in
Hillsboro, Missouri. Father Fred arranged to have a chapel set up
temporarily in the rear of a local barber shop. On July 8, 1934, he
celebrated the first Mass for the new parish and later that day Donald
Lassing became the first person baptized at Good Shepherd. By the way, Fr.
Fred had requested "St. Bernadette" for the parish name but Archbishop
Glennon named the parish "Good Shepherd" because Fr. Fred was to "go out and
find the lost sheep in the hills of Jefferson County."
Construction of the church and rectory buildings was undertaken by the men
of the parish. Excavation was halted for a brief time when one of the horses
died while pulling the plow used to dig. The first Mass in the new church
building occurred on November 18, 1934. On Thanksgiving Day Bishop Christian
Winkleman dedicated the church. According to parish archives the church was
built at a cost of $6208.17 and the rectory for $4082.03.
Good Shepherd Parish had no school of its own until 1947, when the second
pastor, Rev. William Berkel, obtained two Ursuline sisters from Mt. St.
Joseph, Kentucky, to teach in two temporary classrooms set up on church
property until a recently purchased residence could be remodeled and used
for school purposes. The school's first year of operation boasted an
enrollment of forty pupils. Our present school was built in 1953.
There have been many changes since Fr. Fred celebrated that first Mass
seventy-five years ago: Latin has given way to English, stained glass windows have been
added, the church has been remodeled, a cafeteria has been added, the Ursuline nuns have departed. But throughout all these changes, and many
others besides, there has been one constant - the faith of the people of
Good Shepherd Parish. To those who have given so much of their time, their
lives and their faith to make our parish what it is today we offer our
heartfelt gratitude. May God continue to bless us for many years to come.
Pastors of Good Shepherd Parish
Father Fred Wieberg
Father William Berkel
Father James Huelater
Father George Scheer
Father Raymond Santen
Father Raymond Liermann
Father Joseph Lessard
Father Donald Dyer
Father Donald Murphy
Father John Jakle
Father Michael Dieckmann
Father Dennis Schmidt
Father Christopher Holtmann